International Teacher Development Program
Coach a Teacher. Help Change the World.
Teachers matter more to student achievement than any other aspect of schooling. When it comes to student performance on reading and math tests, a teacher is estimated to have two to three times the impact of any other school factor, including services, facilities, and even leadership. (Rand Education)
1. Expose teachers in developing nations to effective, research-based practices.
Our curriculum will focus on research-based practices in delivering quality instruction differentiated by core subject and age level (elementary, middle, high school).
2. Build teacher coaching/leadership capacity among US teachers.
Master teachers will be challenged to think about their practices in a new way through coaching. Observation of another and critical analysis of their practice requires a level of metacognition and leadership that will expand the skills of these teachers, which will be beneficial not only in their classroom instruction but also in their school communities.
3. Create cross-cultural dialogue on issues of educational equity.
Our increasingly globalized society demands that we build our own capacity to collaborate across lines of difference. This opportunity will provide the chance for teachers from both communities to learn from and grow with one another. They will be challenged to think about education and teaching from a new perspective as well as expand their own ideas of what education looks like and how it is approached.
The International Development Program will consist of
- Four online on-boarding and framing sessions that will train and prepare US teachers to serve as coaches and leaders in country, as well as to provide cultural context and competency
- Two-week intensive teacher coaching professional development program in Kenya where US teachers will be paired with Kenyan teachers and coach them individually as well as plan and lead professional development workshops with their Kenyan counterparts.
- Weekend excursions and tours
1. Have 3+ years of teaching experience
2. Are interested in international travel and service
3. Have a desire to improve teacher practice and contribute to underserved school communities
1. Basic information and experience in education
2. Short answer questions
3. One letter of recommendation from a school leader
July 1st-July 15th 2018
This Professional Development Package includes:
- Web based online sessions
- Access to coaching resources
- Live Coaching/Feedback
- ITDP Teacher Coaching Certificate*
- Airport transfer
- Breakfast and Dinner
- 3-day Safari
Program Fee: $1500
*ITDP Teacher Coaching Certificate will only be provided upon satisfactory completion. This certificate is non-accredited.